Monday, April 09, 2012

Greenbelt Hike - Dandelions

Easter Sunday afternoon I took the opportunity to go for a hike on one of my favoirte trails, the Barton Creek Greenbelt. The weather presented such a perfect day and with the recent rains creating a nice flow in the creek, I  knew there would be hundreds of people on the trail and swimming in the creek at the various swimmin' holes.

I was not disappointed in the crowds; however, the majority left the trails vacant so I was able to stroll slowly and stop whenever I wanted to photograph any sight that caught my eye.

[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

The field of dandelions was one sight that caught my eye, with the fluffy seed pods ready to disperse and create havoc in some conscientious gardener's yard.[[posterous-content:pid___1]]I have rarely seen so many dandelions in one spot and enjoyed the view they created.[[posterous-content:pid___2]]This many dandelions, combined with the common wild onion which are also plentiful in the area, would make for a good salad. I took an afternoon hike, so I had already eaten, but if I had planned it carefully, I could have had my very own vegan picnic with the wild plants I found.[[posterous-content:pid___3]]Not since I moved away from the farm, have I thought so much about the presence of wild foods around us.[[posterous-content:pid___4]]And not only is it nice to know that the wild foods are around us, they make for some beautiful sights in our outdoor adventures.

No comments:

ClickComments