Thursday, January 20, 2011

Two Face(booked)

After attending a conference where many people were talking about using social media in education, I decided to create a professional Facebook account to do professional posts and to be able to connect to work projects without making connections to my personal life. Though my personal life is relatively tame, I do not want to worry about what my friends will post on my wall or have to justify a political or religious statement I make.
And so I created the professional profile and began to connect to co-workers and others I know in a professional setting.
Wow -my professional contacts are much wilder than my social friends. I have been missing out! 
Maybe I’m just old.
Now, though, I have to wonder how to manage that account as I seek to connect it to the work I do and believe in so deeply. The social media seem to be the new way to reach students and get them key information in a way they are going to see it, but I do not want them exposed to some of the things the “professionals” are doing!
Maybe more importantly, how do I protect myself from some of the things the professionals are doing?
I’ll continue to play with it for a while to see how it goes, but so far, I’m not sure I am ready for this kind of communications and social life.

No comments:

ClickComments