Sunday, February 20, 2011

Scoot

Now that the heart of winter has settled upon us here in Austin, I have found it is the perfect time to dodge about town on my scooter. The weather has been shorts and tee-shirt perfect, so I’ve grabbed the camera, filled my backpack with a pad and pens, a bottle of water, hopped on my scooter and have started making my way to parks in Austin I never would have explored had I been driving my truck. In fact, I have driven by many of them and never noticed them as I passed.

So many (semi)quiet retreats are just around the corner. Just today I discovered a side trail to the Lady Bird (Town) Lake running trail with benches and tables and what appears to be ample shade when the trees are fully leaved in the summer. The little park offers view of Longhorn Dam and the decommissioned power plant that I never imagined. With the benches and tables I have room to work, write, and just sit as others pass by.


These are the first pictures I have kept of the old power plant that will soon be demolished.

Longhorn Dam at the end of Lady Bird Lake. This is the first time I have ever seen it from the lake side. For three years, I drove across it almost daily on my way to work.
As we move into spring and Austin comes alive, I am looking forward to enjoying this new passion as I explore more parts of a city I have loved for ten years.

1 comment:

m.j. said...

Please don't kill yourself on your scooter. :-)

ClickComments