Monday, May 02, 2011

Being Still

This morning I went down to my parents’ pond - or what’s left of it - and took the time to really look. The Nature Channel on television has infinite documentaries on watering holes and the animals that use them, but I had never seen one on insects. 
I had never taken the time to look for them either.
This morning, the entire remnant of the pond was abuzz with various bugs that came for sustenance or supplies. Bees, wasps, and flies worked in abundance around the limited water that was left. Some bees and wasps gathered water while others gathered together bits of mud for their nest.
All it took was me being still for a little while.
Being still and watching what is happening. Listening for the quiet sounds. Stillness and listening. Two qualities we often overlook in this mad world as we try to keep up with all that is happening around us.
Being still I saw wild bugs hovering above the mud.


I do not believe I have ever taken a better picture. Even the newborn fawn does not compare to the hovering bug with its wing caught mid-stoke.
Being still, I saw a variety of moths landing on the mud.



Being still, I saw a red wasp land on the water and be blown across on the wind as the wasp gathered water for building it's paper nest.


Being still, I saw an amazing white-faced beetle crawling around the mud.


Being still, I saw bugs crawling out of the water and across the mud.



Being still, I saw life happening around me that I had never noticed before. No matter what I have going on in my life, I must take the time to stop, pause, and notice what is really happening around me that under other circumstances I would charge right past.
Being still, I must have patience and see the beauty that surrounds me.

No comments:

ClickComments