Sunday, December 18, 2011

Simple Fixes


While I generally think myself pretty handy, sometimes it costs me more than if I had just hired a handyman in the first place. Such was the instance with my attempt at installing the iPod connection to the stereo in my truck. I not only did not install the connection, I injured my back which kept me from enjoy Christmas with my cousins in Kansas as I had originally planned. I finally went by an audio shop and for just $35, they made the connection in just ten minutes and now my truck stereo sounds better than ever.

After leaving the shop, I went to a home improvement store because my food disposal had stopped working and despite my best efforts, I could not get it to operate again. I resolved that I would have to pay for a new food disposal. While there, I saw a wrench designed to manually break disposal jams. I doubted that I was stronger than a ¾ horsepower motor, but decided a $7 fix was better than a $130 replacement.

As soon as I got home, I pulled out the wrench and decided to see if my disposal even had the appropriate slot for the wrench. It did and with just a little back and forth motion, my disposal worked better than it had in a very long time.

Sometimes the simple fix works best in the situation. This was one time that I actually saved money by doing-it-myself.

No comments:

ClickComments