Monday, December 31, 2007

If It Ain't Broke...

Since it is New Year’s Eve, there is a certain obligation to review one’s life. As I spent the last five minutes thinking about it, I realized that those things I would share, I have and those things I won’t aren’t going to come pouring out today.

As I talked to a friend last night, all I could come up with was the cliché, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” My life really is in good shape at the present, so I’ll leave it be (despite applying for a second graduate program…yeah – it’s a contradiction).

Unfortunately, there may also be an omen mixed within it. When I first typed it, I wrote, “If it ain’t fixed, don’t broke it.”

Somehow I think the typo has as much truth as the original chestnut. With the challenges facing the nation and people personally, there is that natural inclination to try to make things better. With a presidential campaign going on, we will spend the entire year hearing about how much better things can be. I just how we have some recognition that as we make the choice for the next four years, that despite the things that are broken, we don’t choose someone who is going to “broke” it worse.

No comments:

ClickComments