Friday, May 21, 2010

Technologygasm

I periodically write about experiences with technology and different discoveries I make by playing around with it. None of my previous experiences match the ecstasy I felt upon getting all my electronic calendars to sync yesterday. I gush over this accomplishment because it was the first time I was able to cross platforms - from Mac to PC. 
At some point I crossed a line and truly became a tech geek. I am certainly not in the tech elite, but shiny things with touch screens do make my heart beat faster.
Since buying the iPad just over a week ago, I have gradually done more and more work on it each day and have found that it really is one of the most functional toys I have ever purchased. The calendar, internet, and various applications, do make it much more than a cool way to watch television while in bed (as if the 27” television, connected to cable, in my room was not enough). As I began to find ways to make it work with my iPhone and MacBook Pro, I was upset that it didn’t sync with my work calendar.
After playing for just a few minutes, I was able to make it sync with the exchange (Microsoft) server at work, but that still did not populate information to my iCal on the MacBook. Mobile Me made it so easy for my Apple products to connect, but I knew there had to be a way to make the Microsoft calendar work without duplicating everything.
And then I remembered that I had the Entourage program. After a few minutes of playing with it, I discovered that, since it is on my MacBook, it will sync through Mobile Me - as well as with the Exchange server at work.
I literally had a technologygasm when I opened iCal and it had synced every electronic calendar I have.
I then opened the calendar on my iPad. It was just as beautiful and I pulled it out at every meeting afterward to show everyone how well it works. The iPad received lots of oohs and ahhhhs, but my proclamation of technology conquest elicited only a few, “that’s cool” responses. No one else admired the same technological accomplishment as much as me.
When I tweeted the technologygasm comment on friend responded that it sounds like something that happens after cybersex.
For me, it was even better. 

No comments:

ClickComments