Monday, July 16, 2012

No Stir Fruit Cobbler

Every once in a while I get a craving for something sweet. When I want something that I can whip up quickly with any variety of variation, I make my No-Stir Fruit Cobbler. The cobbler offers a variation of a cake cobbler rather than a pie-crust type cobbler. Do not count on it being low fat or low calorie. Do count on it being delicious.

 

½ C butter (use REAL butter)

1 C sugar

1 C flour (I have started using ½ C white, ½ C whole wheat especially with fruits that let me use cinnamon as a spice)
1 ½ tsp baking powder

Dash salt

¾ C milk (I often use half-and-half)

3 C fruit canned or fresh (I prefer frozen, thought it adds to cooking time)

1 C sugar

Other spices as appropriate for the fruit selected

 

Preheat oven to 325°. Melt the butter in a Pyrex baking dish (8 X 12). While the butter is melting, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder (optional spices) and milk. Pour this mixture over the melted butter. Do NOT Stir! Spread the fruit over the batter mixture. Do NOT Stir! Sprinkle 1 cup sugar over fruit (I sometimes mix with a spice appropriate for the fruit). Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until brown and bubbly. If using frozen fruit, it often takes an additional 20 (30-40 in a toaster oven) minutes of baking time.

2013

The spices I use include cinnamon, apple pie spice, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, and allspice. It simply depends on what works best with the fruit I’m using. The cayenne pepper, just a dash, works GREAT with peaches and the ground mustard works really well with apples. When using apple, I sometimes sprinkle a little sharp cheddar cheese in the batter.

 

Some of my favorite fruits include peaches and blueberries (frozen), apple (sliced with my mandolin), and blackberries (fresh or frozen).

 

Over the years there the cobbler has become one of my most requested desserts, next to the Mayonnaise Chocolate Cake (just trust me, it’s wonderful).

 

No comments:

ClickComments