Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Can't Get You Out of My Mind

Sometimes I have no idea how certain thoughts get into my head, but once they get in, they rummage around and push everything else out. Such happened tonight when a random song that had no connection to anything of the day made its way into my head. Today’s temperatures reached the hottest we have had in the year and the air conditioning was out at work; nevertheless, “Santa Baby” the 1953 Christmas song parody popped into my head and latched on.

While preparing for a parent presentation.

While showering.

While watching a documentary on the British Empire.

“Santa baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me I've been an awful good girl.”

Temperatures reached 109° today. I certainly did not think of sable. I thought of swimsuits.

I decided to watch some television.

“Santa cutie, there's one thing I really do need, the deed
To a platinum mine”

No, the documentary covers the formation of the diamond mining industry, not platinum. (Who am I kidding, I would take any mine).

While today’s thought consisted of the lyrics to a silly song the dominating thoughts vary in topic and value. Sometimes, the thoughts consist of professional challenges that I seek a resolution or process to address. Other times the thoughts dwell on personal issues.

I consider the persistence of the song an annoyance. Rarely do I consider more productive thoughts an annoyance. I think this prejudice toward meaningful thought a natural expression of my work ethic. Even in repose, I want my brain meaningfully engaged. I need to start composing songs about professional and personal experiences that way maybe I can keep the silly songs from overwhelming my consciousness.

But as I prepare for vacation next week…

“…Santa baby, an out-of-space convertible too, light blue…”

…would perfectly fit the bill.

 

No comments:

ClickComments