Saturday, November 09, 2013

The Grocery List

Over the course of the year I have written several times about how much I have come to love Google drive and my Chromebook. I know people hate how much Google knows about us - but if you are not doing anything wrong, does it really matter if they know about it? One of the nicest uses of the drive is that I have access to it on my phone.

A few months ago, after leaving my grocery list at home, I came up with the idea of creating a document titled “grocery list” in my drive and then I could pull it up when I went to the store and erase the items as I picked them up. Perfect! Using a list definitely helps cut down on impulse buys and keeps me wheeling my cart through the store with purpose.

Since I also use Docs for almost all my blog composition, I have a recurring fear that I copy and past my grocery list into the post rather than the intended document.  It is highly unlikely that that will happen without it being caught as I give each post one more (or the first) edit after I paste it.

I have seen grocery lists published as poetry.

I have seen other grocery lists published as political commentary.

I have seen still others published as a wish-list for those in need.

I looked my list over - it is chaotic utilitarian. I add the next item as I run out of it in my pantry or refrigerator. There is nothing thoughtful about it and if I followed its order, I would never make it out of the store. My list for the store this weekend is rather short. My pantry is stocked about to normal levels - which means I will not be starving for six months.

butter
sour cream
cream cheese
eggs
cake mixes
green beans
plastic containers
rice vinegar
white wine vinegar
catsup (sue me)
sugar
mushrooms

With only these items, I may actually make it out for under $100. Yes, there will be impulse buys - I never said the list eliminated them, it just limits them.

No comments:

ClickComments