Sunday, November 13, 2011

Baked Oatmeal Breakfast

Since childhood, oatmeal has been one of my least favorite breakfast foods. I like oats and oatmeal as an ingredient in other dishes, but I just cannot get past the texture of traditionally boiled oatmeal. Recently, though, I found a new way of preparing oatmeal that overcame the slimy texture and turned oatmeal into a wonderful breakfast option, especially when I have company.
The simple ingredient list means this this dish can be one pulled together with little notice.
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 C Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons honey (or syrup)
2 Eggs
1 C Applesauce
1 1/2 C Milk
3 C Oatmeal
1 1/2 Teaspoons baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon (I use apple pie spice)
1/4 cup raisins (plumped for 10 minutes in warm water)
brown sugar
milk
Mix all the wet ingredients together then combine in the dry ingredients.
Pour into a 9 X 9 baking dish. Place in refrigerator overnight. 

(before cooking) I made a double batch to take to work and used a 13 X 9 pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes.
Two flavors I particularly like to add to apple dishes are mustard powder and cheddar cheese. I mix in about 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and  1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard.
This dish has become a favorite at work and with friends, and of course, has made me consider eating oatmeal regularly.

No comments:

ClickComments