Thursday, November 26, 2009

Something to be Thankful For

I have never really lacked for things to be thankful for when Thanksgiving comes around, but this year has been exceptionally good for me and I go into the day with a true exhilaration and desire to spend it in celebration.


Back in July, I wrote about one of the things I would no longer mention in the blog because the two times I had mentioned it, that thing ceased within days. At the time I wrote it, I had actually had a date or two with someone who would become my next “unmentionable.”


He reads the blog and knows everything I say, and he gets the gentle jabs (Boys just want to shoot each other!) I throw his way. He is well aware that he is the “unmentionable.” The truth is that he means too much to me, and typing “unmentionable” everywhere I would say boyfriend or partner or otherwise infer a relationship name truly pains me. I truly am blessed to have him in my life, and this Thanksgiving, having him in my life is without a doubt what I am most thankful for.


I am thankful for the way he looks at me when he thinks I don’t see him.


I am thankful for the way his eyes scrunch up and close when he has a genuine smile on his face.


I am thankful for how often there is a smile on his face.


I am thankful that in the ways I am a “get‘er done” kind of guy, he is thoughtful and contemplative.


I am thankful for and amazed at his intelligence.


I am thankful for his independence within the relationship.


I am thankful for his eternally positive attitude - despite his caution and familiarity with the field of international disaster management.


I am thankful that he is a man of strong faith and gladly worships with me.


I am thankful that he appreciates my grouchiness and just gives me a hug and a kiss and moves on.


I am thankful for the “Ohhh La La!”, but most of all I am thankful that it does not define our relationship despite its extreme ultimate amazingness.


I am thankful that my friends and family who have met him genuinely like him.


I am thankful that I appreciate how he is always right - even when I disagree with him just to be cantankerous, he is still always right. People who know me know just how much being wrong grates on me and just what it took for me to admit that.


I am thankful that even when we disagree, I still cannot think of anyone else with whom I would rather be.


I am thankful that every day I know him, I find something more about him to like and pray that there will be many more days of discovery before us.


No comments:

ClickComments