Sunday, November 01, 2009

Zombie Gospel

The gospel text at church this morning related the raising of Lazarus after he had been dead four days.

I'm not much a fan of horror or spooky in general. I went out on Halloween dressed as myself which is plenty frightening to those who know me.

Yet, I thoroughly enjoyed Zombieland, but only because it is a comedy and not the typical horror schtick.

I'm also reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Yes it is a real novel. Even though I am a former English teacher, I never could make myself it through any of Jane Austen's novels. They were all too much "chick book" for me. The addition of zombies could not make it any worse and may have helped - so I purchased the Kindle version and have been most entertained when I've had the chance to read for pleasure.

My two recent experiences with zombies in the novel and movie format absolutely shaped the imagery of the gospel reading. I could not get the images of he "undead" Lazarus wrapped in his burial clothes out of my head.

I have not been able to find any theology of the undead in any mainstream religion. The historical/cultural threats to disrupt the eternal rest could be taken from a few well chosen Bible verses that explain the resurrection of believers and Jesus's demonstration of it by his own resurrection and the resurrection of Lazarus.

The true beauty of it all in the Christian perspective is not the mindless raising of the body, but the real life of the sould joined with other saints and in the presence of God. The "spooky" Lazarus was really just a brief interlude on a lovely All Saints Day, and I for one look forward to the resurrection.

No comments:

ClickComments