Monday, November 30, 2009

Thirty Days of Writing

Thirty days of writing have now been completed. I haphazardly entered this quest after noticing various posts on the Facebook and several other blogs about the writing month and having neglected the blog most of the year. Now that the end has come, I have found it to be much more rewarding than I ever expected it to be. Some days were really a chore, but most have been a joy to complete.


Writing for thirty straight days has proven for me one of the rules about writing: to be a writer, one has to write. Editing comes later, but writing has to take place for editing to even happen. Some writing is good. Some writing is bad. And honestly, most of the good writing starts out as pretty bad writing. I’ve noticed about my writing that when I could get days ahead and take the time to edit a few times before hitting publish (even when I scheduled the publication well in advance), the writing came out much crisper and clearer than those days with a last minute (digital) scribble.


As I have perused other blogs in the last month, much as I though I would find, the month of writing has produced some very strong writing and some plain hack writing, and much of it writing that would never have happened had the author not participated in the month or taken the time to put their thoughts and idea on paper.


With graduate school essentially over, I’m looking forward to having more time to devote to writing again and hopefully, being back in the swing of writing and posting, I miss posting for as long as I’ve done in the last few months.

No comments:

ClickComments